Legislation listed on this site refers to laws that are in effect. No proposals pending in state or federal legislatures are included until they have become enforceable laws in effect. On a rare basis, laws in effect are declared unconstitutional in whole or in part after judicial review. Double-check the current status of any law listed on this site before assuming it is valid or acting in reliance upon it.
- Gang, Gang Crime, and Gang Member Definitions
This document describes current federal law and proposed legislation, as well as current state law.
The information is updated annually.
Definitions.pdf (as of December 2016)
Gang-Related Legislation by State
Gang-Related Legislation by Subject
- Accomplice Liability
- Bail, Pretrial, Conditional Release, or Conditional Dismissal
- Civil and Administrative Actions
- Correctional Facilities
- Data Reporting and Sharing
- Drive-By Shooting
- Findings and Declarations
- Foster Care and Alternative Placement (Juveniles)
- Gang Databases
- Gang-Related Definitions
- Penalties (including Sentencing Enhancement), Fines, and Damages
- Probation and Parole
- Racketeering, Money Laundering, Criminal Enterprise, and Criminal Profiteering
- Recruitment, Threats, Intimidation
- Schools and Education
- Training and Technical Assistance
- Witnesses and Victims