As listed at this site, “Legislation” refers to only laws that are in effect. No proposals pending in legislatures are included until they have become enforceable laws in effect. On a rare basis, laws in effect are declared unconstitutional in whole or in part after judicial review. Double-check the current status of any law listed below before assuming it is valid or acting in reliance upon it.
Using automated databases and working with a variety of entities, the National Gang Center identifies gang-related legislation. This information is updated as new legislation and existing legislation are identified. Please review the gang-related legislation disclaimer.
- Gang, Gang Crime, and Gang Member Definitions
This document describes current federal law and proposed legislation, as well as current state law.
The information is updated annually.
Definitions.pdf (as of December 2016)
Gang-Related Legislation by State
Gang-Related Legislation by Subject
- Bail, Pretrial or Conditional Release; Conditional Dismissal
- Civil and Administrative Actions
- Correctional Facilities
- Data Reporting and Sharing
- Drive-By Shooting
- Findings and Declarations
- Foster Care and Alternative Placement (Juveniles)
- Gang Databases
- Gang-Related Definitions
- Probation and Parole
- Recruitment, Threats, Intimidation
- Schools and Education
- Training and Technical Assistance